Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Viviane Sassen








I came across Viviane Sassen's work only recently and was instantly drawn into her images. These photos above are from her work taken while in Africa. The colors, shapes, textures, and plants are all so well composed. But what I appreciate the most I think are how her subjects are framed in relation to what we are used to seeing. For example take the two boys hugging with the giant palm leaf between them; isn't that unexpected? Are they brothers, friends, young lovers? The palm in between them creates another layer that I am quite fond of besides creating a beautiful stunning image. It makes me question whether they are hiding within it or keeping it between them for some distant security or whether is was simply a random act without much thought behind it nor meaning. Looking at these longer I can go on about what other elements I appreciate but I guess I'll stop here. Let you take it in and see what it does for you, if anything at all. (I would of course of love to hear your thoughts).

1 comment:

  1. what is being hidden/obscured and why?
    what is it about hiding?
    what is meant to be seen?
    in all of them, why is it the leaf that is the object that does this, either physically or because of it's shadow?
    is the plant a stand in for something?
    what is the plants relationship to the body, or identification of a person?

    i love these photos too - so so so good

    xx

    ReplyDelete